Conversation with mm2009@conference.jabber.vond.net at 8/8/2011 6:05:58 PM on shurato2099@jabber.vond.net/ (jabber)

(6:05:59 PM) This room is not anonymous.
(7/11/2011 10:29:59 PM) GM (Brad): ... well that should help his Combat Driving: Ditch-Witch considerably. :)
(7/11/2011 10:30:33 PM) GM (Brad): However, given the hour, I'm not going to run a full combat. Folks give me three combat rolls, levels and weirdness included.
(7/11/2011 10:31:13 PM) edorries: Yeah, I'm pretty weird. :-)
(7/11/2011 10:31:40 PM) edorries: Roll(3d6)+0:
2,3,6,+0
Total:11

Roll(3d6)+0:
4,5,6,+0
Total:15

Roll(3d6)+0:
1,5,5,+0
Total:11
(7/11/2011 10:32:19 PM) edorries: A 5, a fail, and a 5
(7/11/2011 10:33:39 PM) Chris: Roll(3d6)+0:
4,1,4,+0
Total:9

Roll(3d6)+0:
3,5,6,+0
Total:14

Roll(3d6)+0:
4,3,2,+0
Total:9
(7/11/2011 10:33:42 PM) GM (Brad): Conveniently, these guys are 5s. Judy mostly peeling the tool-dip off of them?
(7/11/2011 10:33:52 PM) edorries: Yup.
(7/11/2011 10:34:33 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Roll(3d6)+0:
3,4,5,+0
Total:12 (Hits DCV 5

Roll(3d6)+0:
5,5,6,+0
Total:16 (Hits DCV 1)

Roll(3d6)+0:
4,2,1,+0
Total:7 (Hits DCV 10)
With Spectral armor and kite shield active, operating at DCV 10, 10/10 Pd/Ed
(7/11/2011 10:35:33 PM) Chris: success/fail-by-1/success in my case
(7/11/2011 10:37:11 PM) Mike Hammond (James D):

(We handwave Ditch Witch as having an OCV 4; Mike has 2 applicable levels after various bonuses, for a net 6): To-hit roll: 3d6 = 10; with 6 OCV hit DCV 7 (5, 1, 4); To-hit roll: 3d6 = 14; with 6 OCV hit DCV 3 (3, 5, 6); To-hit roll: 3d6 = 10; with 6 OCV hit DCV 7 (4, 3, 3)


(7/11/2011 10:37:52 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (Note also that after blessings, both Mike *and* the Ditch Witch have 1d6 Luck)
(7/11/2011 10:38:04 PM) GM (Brad): So lots of hit-whiff-hit I'm seeing here.
(7/11/2011 10:38:44 PM) edorries: Beats the other way 'round
(7/11/2011 10:39:20 PM) GM (Brad): With an average whiff-whiff-hit from the golems. Advantage, Samurai ... er ... sentient people thingies.
(7/11/2011 10:43:00 PM) GM (Brad): It turns into an interesting, if short, fight. There turns out to be littlle need for containment of the golems: they're going straight for Ben and lashing out at anybody else who happens to be around him. As creatures of solid clay, edged weapons are pretty much the way to go since blunt trauma just dents them a little and nearly sprains Anya's ankle from kicking something that solid.
(7/11/2011 10:44:23 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Which is why she's on pressure hose detail
(7/11/2011 10:46:12 PM) GM (Brad): Hacking at limbs will take arms off of two of them, while Dances-With-Semis loses his/its early on from Judy peeling him like a grape. The high pressure sprayers cut into the clay more than some may have expected, carving out divots in the golems that can then be exploited by the weapon weilders. Lilith on the forklift gets one of the golems wedged gainst a wall ... one tine of the lift going through it and out the other side ... the cage on the lift also gets battered pretty badly before the golem can be de-limbed.
(7/11/2011 10:47:53 PM) GM (Brad): The ditch-witch ... folks are pretty sure that things like that shouldn't move as well as Mike manages to get this one to move, but the oversized chainsaw on that thing does wonders when it connects, ripping out gobs of clay and cutting one of the golems roughly in half.
(7/11/2011 10:48:38 PM) GM (Brad): Each of the weapons weilders will take one, admittedly lucky, shot from the golems along the way.
(7/11/2011 10:49:13 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Ow ow ow ow... glad we have a healer
(7/11/2011 10:49:31 PM) GM (Brad): Roll(6d6)+0:
5,2,6,6,1,6,+0
Total:26 and 8 body.
(7/11/2011 10:50:16 PM) GM (Brad): Combat Luck and such counts.
(7/11/2011 10:50:21 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Stuns me, but doesn't break me.
(7/11/2011 10:50:48 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: scratch tha, missed stunning me by 1
(7/11/2011 10:51:30 PM) Chris: Bit more than half of my total stun...
(7/11/2011 10:53:24 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): Mike is heavily forted up; he'll take no BODY and 8 STUN, which will certainly rate an "oof!" but shouldn't slow him down noticeably. With his and the Ditch Witch's improved DCV he shouldn't have to take that very often
(7/11/2011 10:54:05 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (Minor Blessing, Totem of the Warrior, Totem of Physical Protection, Ritual of the Bear, Blessing of the Earth...)
(7/11/2011 10:54:51 PM) GM (Brad): Yeah, Heather's pretty sure that she doesn't want to go toe-to-toe with more than one of these things if she can help it.
(7/11/2011 10:55:09 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (He's giving up most of his wacky mystical abilities to do this sort of thing, but right now this is pretty straightforward physical combat against animate lumps of clay...)
(7/11/2011 10:55:11 PM) Chris: Actually, if I can count both the rune-magic and combat luck, I'd have 13 PD.
(7/11/2011 10:58:50 PM) Chris: But yeah, definitely don't want to fight large groups of these.
(7/11/2011 11:00:33 PM) markh: Hey, back.
(7/11/2011 11:00:37 PM) GM (Brad): By the end of the battle there are several damaged vehicles, some battered and bruised protagonists and damp clay all over the place. Judy tried to pull the scroll out of one of the golems and didn't have enough TK strength to get it out through all of that clay.
(7/11/2011 11:00:51 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: and here is our signature weapon, used in anger. http://cars.failblog.org/2011/07/02/funny-car-photos-chainsaw-truck-wins/
(7/11/2011 11:01:31 PM) edorries: It looks like junior high art class, gone horribly wrong~
(7/11/2011 11:03:24 PM) GM (Brad): Yours is a little smaller than that but, yes, that's essentially it.
(7/11/2011 11:07:37 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: all right. once the scrolls are out, rinse these things completely into the storm drain, confiscate Ben't notes and materials, and see if anything points someplace other than _at_him_ on the dowsing spell.
(7/11/2011 11:08:09 PM) GM (Brad): roll it.
(7/11/2011 11:10:17 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Roll(3d6)+0:
1,1,4,+0
Total:6... out to 64km?
(7/11/2011 11:11:48 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: I kno where old dude was before we started in on the golems. That should help weed out false positives.
(7/11/2011 11:15:00 PM) GM (Brad): ... Manhattan, downtown. From your phone it looks like a high-rise office building.
(7/11/2011 11:16:57 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: note the address, we can start doing research while en route. What to do about Benjamin? Aside form have granny contact his rabbi to scold him properly?
(7/11/2011 11:16:58 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): So we need to do some basic cleanup here, figure out what to do about Ben, and then head back toward downtown. Possibly via someplace we can shower & change, given we're probably pretty clay-covered
(7/11/2011 11:18:04 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): I presume most of us keep spare outfits at the lighthouse... it might be simpler to go by there rather than split up to our separate homes/offices/crypts :)
(7/11/2011 11:18:18 PM) Chris: Heather keeps spare outfits on her bike.
(7/11/2011 11:18:22 PM) Chris: Always available.
(7/11/2011 11:20:40 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra hmms, "The boy made serious mistakes and he should be made to atone for them but not, I think, with his life. The hand that guided him, however, is another matter entirely. That one made a serious attempt at murder if nothing else."
(7/11/2011 11:21:15 PM) Chris: Heather nods. "The boy is guilty of little more than foolishness, really."
(7/11/2011 11:22:40 PM) edorries: Hey, I don't have a crypt. That I know of, anyway
(7/11/2011 11:23:05 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra looks amongst the PCs, "What would this man, Manfriedi, do with him?"
(7/11/2011 11:23:21 PM) Chris: "Probably kill him."
(7/11/2011 11:26:26 PM) GM (Brad): She shakes her head, "Unacceptable, to me at least. The boy was a tool for another, that one should bear the weight of this Sicilian's wrath."
(7/11/2011 11:26:28 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Point. Benjamin, I'll give you ten minutes with your photocopier, but things will be unpleasantly complicated for you if the actual ledger doesn't go back."
(7/11/2011 11:26:51 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith chuckles a bit, "Nobody uses wrath anymore, Ferra. Seriously, who talks like that?"
(7/11/2011 11:27:52 PM) edorries: The old guy is old school. He might.
(7/11/2011 11:28:06 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): He's broken several mundane laws... Breaking & Entering, Grand Larceny, etc.
(7/11/2011 11:28:07 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Do you want a list, lillith?"
(7/11/2011 11:28:22 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): Unfortunately, we've got basically no way to conventionally prosecute him
(7/11/2011 11:28:49 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra shrugs, "I do. At least three others come to mind."
(7/11/2011 11:29:25 PM) Chris: Heather nods and settles on a desk. "I've been known to wax poetical now and then."
(7/11/2011 11:29:58 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra nods, "Four, then."
(7/11/2011 11:31:20 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith shrugs, "So ... don't go conventional? I don't know that many conventional people these days, but I'd think that this guy deserves another chance. Heck ... I've screwed up plenty of times."
(7/11/2011 11:31:40 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): Neither handing him over to Manfriedi, nor more poetic options like layering him in the ex-golem clay and firing him in his own kiln seem to be really called for. We can't turn him over to the mundane authorities. *If* we end up returning all the items in acceptable condition and have someone "in charge" to blame, we may be able to make a case that he shouldn't have a Sicilian price on his head.
(7/11/2011 11:31:53 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra nods, "So I hear." She looks to the others, "Don't let her sing nursery rhymes or try to call up spirits."
(7/11/2011 11:32:47 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith reddens, "The pox was -chicken- and I was five!"
(7/11/2011 11:33:08 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Short term, he has the karmic entertainment of inventing an explanation for the forlklift out there. Longer term... Benjamin, where do you normally go to temple?"
(7/11/2011 11:33:58 PM) GM (Brad): Ben swallows hard at the mention of firing him in his own kiln. He stammers off a place a few miles from here.
(7/11/2011 11:35:25 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Roll(3d6)+0:
4,1,3,+0
Total:8
That makes my Contact group of illumiated clergy. Anyone on site that has me in their speed dial? Or Will we have to leave this in Granny's social circle?
(7/11/2011 11:35:35 PM) edorries: Maybe we should also tell him to visit Granny's?
(7/11/2011 11:36:11 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): "Basically, Ben... you need to be very sure to live an upstanding, moral life... we're willing to give you another chance, and I hope that the cosmic forces you've drawn down into your life will be as forgiving. You certainly owe them on several levels. You probably should do whatever the current equivalent of upgrading from the pair of doves all the way to the whole cow is :)
(7/11/2011 11:36:14 PM) GM (Brad): No one there that Percy's familiar with, but he knows a couple of Rabbis who might know more.
(7/11/2011 11:36:55 PM) GM (Brad): He pales for a moment, "I gotta sacrifice a -cow-?!"
(7/11/2011 11:37:42 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): "Talk to your Rabbi; they've worked out modern equivalents. Donating a lovely garden to your temple that you maintain yourself might be a nice gesture."
(7/11/2011 11:38:11 PM) edorries: Habitat for Humanity, maybe?
(7/11/2011 11:38:21 PM) GM (Brad): Ben nods, "That I could do ... "
(7/11/2011 11:38:22 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: We're in a hurry, and Granny has better contacts in that community than i do.
(7/11/2011 11:39:27 PM) GM (Brad): So, after some quick phone calls putting the poor lad under Granny's purview for the time being folks are off to get changed.
(7/11/2011 11:39:58 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra: So ... I know what I was looking for when I came here, what of you?
(7/11/2011 11:41:12 PM) Chris: Heather chuckles, soft and impish. "No, I don't know what you were looking for... but I'd love to make a deal."
(7/11/2011 11:42:34 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra smirks a bit, "Deals are an old trade, not to be entered into lightly. You tell me yours, I'll tell you mine."
(7/11/2011 11:44:49 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Actually, mike already told her ours, back in the alley.
(7/11/2011 11:45:00 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (Are you drawing off to one side for this conversation, or is it part of the general discussion? Mike is willing to work with "Ferra" & "Lilith" on the strength of common foes, but this exchange may raise an eyebrow)
(7/11/2011 11:46:26 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (At the mundane level, we have mentioned the gauntlet; I suspect there's rather more to this conversation fragment than that, though)
(7/11/2011 11:47:11 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Not around Ben. He'll be happier in the long run.
(7/11/2011 11:47:42 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): (This is sort of an "Azuria's Vault has been raided. Again." situation, for those that have played City of Heroes...)
(7/11/2011 11:49:21 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra nods, "Of course."
(7/11/2011 11:50:14 PM) Chris: (And it's nearly midnight.)
(7/11/2011 11:51:00 PM) GM (Brad): Yep, we should call it here. We'll take up in ... several weeks. :) 2 week family gathering starts this coming weekend.
(7/11/2011 11:51:21 PM) markh: ok
(7/11/2011 11:52:06 PM) edorries: :-)
(7/11/2011 11:52:26 PM) edorries: I'll be at the beach the weekend of the 22nd.
(7/11/2011 11:52:27 PM) Chris: Whee
(7/11/2011 11:53:47 PM) GM (Brad): So let's see ... 18th, 25th ... that puts me back around the 1st of August.
(7/11/2011 11:54:00 PM) GM (Brad): Barring getting fed up with the close quarters.
(7/11/2011 11:56:01 PM) markh: ok then. See people later.
(7/11/2011 11:56:18 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): Whether I run next week TBA
(7/11/2011 11:56:37 PM) Mike Hammond (James D): Given we're short at least one, we'll see
(7/11/2011 11:56:53 PM) GM (Brad): night!
(7/11/2011 11:57:48 PM) edorries: Night, all. Take care!
(5:59:15 PM) Anya (Christy): Hi me
(6:06:32 PM) Anya (Christy): how much Dex will you let me buy?
(6:06:46 PM) GM (Brad): How much do you have now?
(6:06:58 PM) Anya (Christy): 20
(6:07:38 PM) GM (Brad): Any Dex beyond that will cost double. 20 is the human max.
(6:08:10 PM) Anya (Christy):

to be Chiun one need much dex


(6:09:02 PM) GM (Brad): Or more levels.
(6:09:22 PM) Anya (Christy): lots and lots of levels
(6:09:23 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D) [jdunson@jabber.vond.net/5a46550d] entered the room.
(6:09:35 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Greetings
(6:10:09 PM) GM (Brad): And Chiun had ... quite some time for those levels, too.
(6:10:49 PM) Anya (Christy): 15 year 14.5 if I shave some of the top
(6:12:10 PM) GM (Brad): That was for Remo. :) Chiun was alreaded Aged Master when that thing started.
(6:13:54 PM) Anya (Christy): and my ghost is not an aged master?
(6:15:34 PM) Anya (Christy): I am Chiun
(6:15:53 PM) GM (Brad): Chiun you're not. proto-Remo maybe.
(6:15:54 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net [nmorse@jabber.vond.net/Blackrose] entered the room.
(6:16:17 PM) Anya (Christy): How do I buy bullet doghing
(6:17:27 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: waves
(6:17:43 PM) GM (Brad): There are a number of ways to do that, many of them requiring combat actions.
(6:18:29 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Remo was clearly taking combat actions in the film to do that. He just had more speed than the CEO at the end.
(6:19:54 PM) GM (Brad): So there's the 'It's all DCV' approach: a full-move Dodge maneuver and extra DCV levels. There's the Missile Deflection as Dodge approach.
(6:21:01 PM) GM (Brad): Since he wasn't dodging everything like that, the Missile Deflection as Dodge approach might be more in line with the movie.
(6:21:08 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(6:21:13 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Hi Mark!`
(6:21:23 PM) markh: Hi!
(6:21:29 PM) markh: Did you get my email?
(6:21:41 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Arguably, if Remo is even SPD 4 versus a possibly SPD 2 executive, that gives him a considerable advantage
(6:21:43 PM) GM (Brad): Not that I've seen so far ... let me check again.
(6:21:52 PM) GM (Brad): This is true.
(6:21:54 PM) markh: Sorry, for Nate.
(6:22:08 PM) GM (Brad): Ah.
(6:22:14 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: From: mhamake, two attachments.
(6:22:54 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): One interpretation is that the anti-gunman training of Sinanju is basically "Full Move Dodge followed by specialized Disarm"
(6:23:15 PM) markh: two? How odd...
(6:24:04 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): It ought to be a single-limb grab (arm lock, basically) combined with a weird disarm vs. weapons with fiddly bits... it's more of a DEX vs. DEX disarm than STR vs. STR
(6:24:43 PM) GM (Brad): Quite possibly. The stock Full Move Dodge v. All is +3 DCV. Without other levels and assuming Anya's Dex 20 that's a DCV 10. A 'normal' shooter could only hit that on a 5 or less.
(6:25:45 PM) GM (Brad): Sorry, Flying Dodge is +4. So that's a 4 or less on a 'normal' shooter.
(6:26:02 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (The advantage of the eject-clip trick, aside from being a fun presence attack, is that the defender is likely concentrating on retaining grip on the weapon; you're doing something they neither expect nor are trained to resist by ejecting the clip, etc.)
(6:26:21 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: your email sends both the normal text version, and a html file of the exact same thing.
(6:26:40 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): We're likely to be facing far more competent foes, mind you
(6:26:57 PM) markh: Silly email.
(6:27:01 PM) GM (Brad): I honestly think that the 'eject the clip' thing is something that Chiun does to show off. Sleight of Hand roll.
(6:27:31 PM) GM (Brad): At that point it's a weapon bind.
(6:29:48 PM) markh: Okay, Brad... I think I sent you the latest version of Brent.
(6:29:53 PM) GM (Brad): Sinanju goes in for a lot of bio-mechanical jiggering: nerve points, joint flexing, throws.
(6:31:04 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (IMO ejecting the clip is actually practical; catching the ejected clip in your other hand and flicking the bullets out of it with your thumb is the showing off / PRE attack part)
(6:32:15 PM) GM (Brad): Found it ...
(6:33:04 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Christy (currently hands occupied with sewing green and orange barding for an Irish horse) asks whether she's met her advanced master yet... based on previous discussion the presumably ghostly one
(6:33:28 PM) GM (Brad): Oh, the clip trick is emminently practical.
(6:34:35 PM) GM (Brad): I think we had agreed earlier that she'd met whoever was going to be teaching her the advanced stuff. I just haven't had time to sit down and flesh him out from my side of things yet.
(6:35:48 PM) markh left the room.
(6:37:41 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Also discussing the Mystery Men approach of using breaking blow-like abilities to pull the slide of an automatic off past the stops
(6:37:54 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Probably best handled as a KA vs. foci
(6:38:36 PM) GM (Brad): Yeah. Better example of that, I think, is from Ultraviolet. But, yeah. KA v. weapons.
(6:40:50 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(6:41:07 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Much of the earlier Sinanju abilities are pretty much 1" of invisible Stretching combined with various Pressure Point abilities
(6:41:17 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (Or could be bought as TK, I suppose)
(6:41:18 PM) GM (Brad): Mark, whats the side effect on your spirit summoning?
(6:41:39 PM) markh: Big honking circle?
(6:42:16 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: That's bulky variable oaf, not side effects.
(6:42:28 PM) GM (Brad): SIDE effect, you took that as a limitation. What happens when it goes wrong?
(6:42:30 PM) markh: Oh, sorry. Side effect... if I fail the roll, I get something I didn't expect.
(6:42:42 PM) markh: Or want.
(6:43:21 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Christy: How many disad points does Anya get for you having that?
(6:44:26 PM) GM (Brad): So the full -1 Side Effect, anything up to and including your maximum summon?
(6:44:40 PM) markh: Yep.
(6:45:19 PM) GM (Brad): I think Anya has a 10 or 15 point lim to being subject to spirit affecting powers (summons, bindings, wardings, etc)
(6:46:56 PM) GM (Brad): (... hmm a 225pt Cherrie would just not be worth it ... )
(6:47:21 PM) markh: I don't use the summon often...
(6:47:33 PM) markh: I don't think I've ever used it "on-screen"
(6:48:05 PM) GM (Brad): Not so far, no.
(6:51:43 PM) Chris [chris_n@jabber.vond.net/RYO-OH-KI] entered the room.
(6:51:49 PM) Chris: (Hullo all!)
(6:51:52 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Hi Chris!
(6:51:55 PM) markh: Hi!
(6:52:08 PM) Chris: How goes it?
(6:53:54 PM) GM (Brad): So far so good. Discussing XP spends and Sinanju before we get started.
(6:54:20 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (Where are we picking back up? Our best lead ended up mostly dead-ending in the golem kid; IIRC he really didn't know much about the actual mastermind
(6:54:53 PM) Chris: You know, I'm not sure if I spent my XP...
(6:55:56 PM) GM (Brad): I was under the impression that most people had, but go ahead and check. We have a little bit of a lul while people regroup but no serious time for in-depth stuff.
(6:56:28 PM) Chris: *nod*
(6:56:56 PM) Chris: My sheet currently shows 57 earned, 55 spent
(6:57:30 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Um...I think we collected all his ritual materials and notes, in hopes that soemthing actually has a link to someone on the other side of the East River, which is where we tracked Mr.Antagonist before he hung up.
(6:57:55 PM) markh left the room.
(6:58:10 PM) GM (Brad): Right, and there was talk of regrouping at the lighthouse.
(6:59:19 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(6:59:28 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Shower, change of clothes, removal of spiritually charged clay from embarassing places...
(7:02:11 PM) Chris: lunch
(7:02:20 PM) markh: I guess I'll take a look at the notes.
(7:02:52 PM) Anya (Christy): right show change and meet
(7:02:52 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Even those of us who don't live at the lighthouse presumably keep a change of clothes, etc. there for those days
(7:04:10 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (And the contrctors wondered why we installed a commercial grade hot water heater...)
(7:06:08 PM) GM (Brad): They were less concerned than the historical society was with the inclusion of the whirlpool tub in the bathroom. But, ultimately they were only really worried about the exterior of the building.
(7:07:26 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): ("OK, so it's a room featuring a whirlpool bath, I understand that.. but were the clashing rocks for a door really required? :)
(7:07:41 PM) Chris: ("Historical accuracy.")
(7:07:53 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Do you know how many favors I owe every time we use the special tan attatched to the emergency shower filled with holy water?
(7:08:00 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: *tank*
(7:08:20 PM) markh left the room.
(7:09:03 PM) Anya (Christy): I though we has presest on reatinor
(7:09:54 PM) GM (Brad): He does, but getting them out to the lighthouse too often is a little problematic.
(7:10:18 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: We do. I pay him in returned favors. So, who want's to chaperone the St.Cyril's Sunday School field trip to Boston with me?
(7:11:04 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(7:11:17 PM) Anya (Christy): Sorry I would but I have a performance the week
(7:12:09 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Wise choice. It's a dozen and change adolescent Episcopalian boys, aged 12-15.
(7:12:50 PM) Anya (Christy): this sounds like a job for a Jewish Granny if I have ever heard one
(7:14:20 PM) GM (Brad): It's on a Saturday, she's out.
(7:14:28 PM) Anya (Christy): or our dear Profession
(7:17:04 PM) markh left the room.
(7:17:49 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: That answers that. How many dowsing rolls do you want on the stuff we confiscated, Mt. GM?
(7:19:27 PM) GM (Brad): Well, let's see ... you have a couple of scroll blanks, some spell ink, a few golem diagrams, a photo-copy of the activation ritual ...
(7:20:14 PM) GM (Brad): Give me four rolls, but only a couple of those items are likely to have enough signature to trace.
(7:20:48 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

From last time... " nmorse@jabber.vond.net: all right. once the scrolls are out, rinse these things completely into the storm drain, confiscate Ben't notes and materials, and see if anything points someplace other than _at_him_ on the dowsing spell.
(11:08:13 PM) GM (Brad): roll it.
(11:10:21 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Roll(3d6)+0:
1,1,4,+0
Total:6... out to 64km?
(11:11:52 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: I kno where old dude was before we started in on the golems. That should help weed out false positives.
(11:13:18 PM) markh left the room.
(11:15:03 PM) GM (Brad): ... Manhattan, downtown. From your phone it looks like a high-rise office building."


(7:21:06 PM) GM (Brad): Yep.
(7:21:18 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (We then decided to go via the lighthouse to clean up)
(7:22:45 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(7:23:33 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: ok, brain dead there. So, unless the building plans are on the City Planning Commission website, we'll have to go there to get anything more precise.
(7:23:54 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): A distinct wrinkle in all this are "Ferra" and "Lilith".
(7:25:52 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): There was some conversation between them and mainly Heather, IIRC, which was sort of left hanging
(7:27:17 PM) GM (Brad): Yeah, they're looking for something also taken from the warehouse.
(7:28:03 PM) Chris: Heather took Ferra out to get lunch and pump her for info
(7:28:46 PM) markh left the room.
(7:29:40 PM) GM (Brad): We dealt with that earlier so as not to have a lengthy side conversation during the game.
(7:30:50 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(7:33:57 PM) Anya (Christy): to the office bulding then?
(7:34:32 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: *cue superfriends music* Yes, away!
(7:34:33 PM) markh: (Did my ritual magic help any with the notes?)
(7:38:52 PM) GM (Brad): It took Brent a little while to comb through the notes. The ritual was pretty straight forward, but the instructions on the scrolls were the hinky bits. There was a bit in Hebrew prefixed with "And should they creator turn against thee ... " and some more directions. Basically, as soon as Ben tried to shut the golems down they were set to go after him and 'all who stand with him'.
(7:38:56 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (ok, Brent needs to pick up PS: Metaphysical Forensic Psychology)
(7:39:20 PM) Chris: Oh, cute.
(7:40:16 PM) markh: (Well, I do have criminology...)
(7:40:52 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: So they're safe as long as you keep giving them things to actively do? Darn. That could have been useful.
(7:41:35 PM) markh: (Maybe I should study it further, to learn how to make my own Golems....)
(7:41:42 PM) GM (Brad): Not exactly. They're safe until you try to turn them off.
(7:42:09 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): So, we've got an address for a high-rise office building in downtown Manhattan. Hopefully we can avoid a Ghostbusters-like scene and try some subtlety
(7:42:35 PM) Anya (Christy): (where is the fun in that)
(7:45:00 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Any useful non-forced-perspective shots of the building on google images? Ir am I going to have to back off a few blocks to get a decent idea of what floor we want? (it's still map dowsing, I'm just using a head on image as my map)
(7:45:44 PM) GM (Brad): A quick check of the address shows that there are three law firms in that building. Dewey, Cheatham and Howe; Wolfram and Hart; and Fairbough and Sons.
(7:45:55 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Some of us can masquerade as the sort of people logically found in an office building, unless it's entirely owned by bad guys. One of the interesting questions is whether Mr.Mastermind is occultly clued enough that we shouldn't risk Judy on recon
(7:47:03 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: The dix is in. Lets just pack up our toys, and let the Mob walk face first into THAT meat grinder.
(7:47:04 PM) Anya (Christy): I am thinking wolfram and hart my sled
(7:47:06 PM) Anya (Christy): slef
(7:47:08 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: *fix*
(7:47:35 PM) markh left the room.
(7:48:07 PM) GM (Brad): The GM was pressed for names.
(7:49:21 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Let us pray we're dealing with one of the other scores of buisinesses in the structure
(7:50:08 PM) Anya (Christy): who among us looks most normal in this setting
(7:50:21 PM) Chris: I fill out a suit fairly well
(7:50:41 PM) GM (Brad): A couple of ad agencies, a bank on the ground floor, and a data archival company.
(7:50:53 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): It's moderately possible that our target is at their mundane day job, and has nothing of interest here except possibly some defensive gear. It's also possible that one of the firms here is entirely evil with a floor full of pentagrams
(7:51:18 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(7:51:59 PM) Chris: Mmm. The bank's not too likely... how big are the ad agencies?
(7:53:07 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: So does Anya, but you'd be suprised how hard it is to get a woman who stands on her toes all day to put on a pair of office-dominating stiletto heels.
(7:53:42 PM) Chris: No matter how good you think she'd look in them?
(7:54:13 PM) Anya (Christy): I wear heals
(7:54:40 PM) Anya (Christy): they are more cofotsble then toe shoes
(7:54:50 PM) Anya (Christy): comfortable
(7:55:01 PM) GM (Brad): Decent sized. One is primarily product advertising the other is more a PR firm that also does image placement.
(7:55:19 PM) Chris: (I know how true that is, too. My aunt used to dance ballet.(
(7:55:38 PM) edorries [edorries@jabber.vond.net/Hebron] entered the room.
(7:57:18 PM) markh left the room.
(7:57:22 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Scrying perception by 30. Unless he's completely masked out his presence, I should be able to get a better approximation of his location.
(7:57:44 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (Hi Erin!)
(7:58:13 PM) GM (Brad): ... Basement, maybe a sub basement from the look of things. Northeast side.
(7:58:56 PM) Chris: WHich company owns basement space? Or is it utilities?
(7:59:02 PM) edorries: (lurkety lurk . . . read read read)
(7:59:39 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:00:47 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Underground parking availible. Hourly, daily, seasonal and yearly rates availible", perhaps?
(8:00:52 PM) GM (Brad): Nobody listed with basement space, that looks to be utilities ... plumbing, some of the AC and elevator equipment, centralized waste disposal, that kind of stuff.
(8:01:05 PM) Chris: So he might well have a ritual space hidden down there
(8:01:29 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Secret lairs, nominally abandoned pneumatic communications systems, ...
(8:01:29 PM) GM (Brad): Parking too, on one side.
(8:01:43 PM) Chris: Subway terminals...
(8:01:43 PM) edorries: (Don't think you want me chaperoning the St. Cyril's trip. <grin>)
(8:02:16 PM) Anya (Christy): (any guew)
(8:04:09 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (I think Judy would have a blast. Just be warned, Father Hemanez can tell when supernatural creatures are walking into/through him)
(8:05:06 PM) edorries: (Erin thinks the ad agency is evil, by definition.)
(8:05:39 PM) markh left the room.
(8:06:09 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): We could park in the garage and try and sneak into the service areas of the basement. If there's better than mundane security, that stands a good chance of being noticed, though
(8:06:51 PM) edorries: (It's not that Judy wouldn't have a blast, though the boys are a little young to be interesting. No, it's just that she's not likely to *stop* anything. More like sit back and laugh her spectral butt off.)
(8:06:52 PM) Chris: Why don't we drive by the building and have a look?
(8:08:34 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (Yeah, yeah, we know, only Brent is old enough to attract your eye, and even he's a bit underaged for your tastes)
(8:09:38 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:10:09 PM) GM (Brad): The crew is pretty good at detection for a variety of things. Magically 'casing the joint' should be doable. Are you going to be involving your little 'wrinkles' in this field trip?
(8:10:34 PM) edorries: (Pfeh. Nope. He's nice, but he's a square. Not her type.)
(8:10:35 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: That's why we had Brent rent the van, so we can all travel and study the problem together. We're really going to have to invest in or wheedle a company van at some point. I'll drive, the rest of you wave your extic senses at the place.
(8:11:10 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: We can involve them now, or trip over them later.
(8:11:19 PM) Anya (Christy): I will us mine
(8:11:46 PM) Chris: If we don't take them along, they'll just follow us.
(8:12:06 PM) Chris: Ferra, at least, is competant enough to hold her own. I'm not so sure about Lilith, though.
(8:15:38 PM) markh left the room.
(8:16:43 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Sounds like a tentative "yes"
(8:20:07 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:22:17 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): So, we're doing a drive-by in an unmarked van full of weirdos first. Not sure how many of our abilities will work from this range, but if the whole building is lit up with mystic defenses, we can certainly spot that
(8:22:36 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith will be, perhaps, a little too enthusiastic about the prospect. "I have seen Sneakers like a DOZEN times! This is so cool!"
(8:23:09 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): I'm... not sure that's a great model to use
(8:23:29 PM) Anya (Christy): Shoes?
(8:23:33 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "It beats Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible:"
(8:24:32 PM) edorries: Have they shown any reaction to Judy's snarky comments yet?
(8:24:48 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra just pinches the bridge of her nose, "Does anyone know a nursery rhyme about seeing things?"
(8:24:59 PM) GM (Brad): Not so far.
(8:25:25 PM) Chris: Heather leans over to look at Ferra. "Need an incantation?"
(8:26:08 PM) markh left the room.
(8:26:24 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "I spy with my little eye something that begins with 'E'?"
(8:26:43 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra inclines her head to Lilith, "She can make it work. ... If she focuses."
(8:27:59 PM) Anya (Christy): OW is your Russian
(8:28:13 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:28:22 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith blinks, "Ah ... non-existant?"
(8:28:23 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "A hunting we will go?"
(8:28:46 PM) markh: (Big Eyed Owl?)
(8:29:04 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra: Lil, try they 'I spay game. G or M are probably good ones."
(8:29:19 PM) Anya (Christy): what ado I see with my powers
(8:29:43 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

Detect Magic, Discrim, 360: Skill: 3d6 = 6, Success by 8 against a 14 (1, 2, 3)


(8:30:33 PM) GM (Brad): Perception rolls from everybody with ranged senses, one each please.
(8:31:16 PM) Chris: Detect Magic, Discrim, Sight, Tracking: Roll(3d6)+0:
1,4,4,+0
Total:9 -- made it by 8
(8:31:19 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "E stands for Evil Bastage."
(8:31:23 PM) edorries: Hm. Suppose my natural senses count for that. My 'weird' senses are seeing and communicating with the living world.
(8:31:45 PM) edorries: Roll(3d6)+0:
6,2,4,+0
Total:12
(8:31:51 PM) markh: Roll(3d6)+0:
4,6,6,+0
Total:16
(8:31:57 PM) Anya (Christy): Roll(3d6)+0:
2,5,1,+0
Total:8
(8:31:58 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: ( http://www.nurseryrhymes4u.com/NURSERY_RHYMES/MUSICANDSONG.html )
(8:32:01 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

Detect Curses & Malignant Magic, Discrim, Analyze: Skill: 3d6 = 9, Success by 5 against a 14 (2, 2, 5)


(8:32:10 PM) edorries: Fail by 1. I see a van with a bunch of weirdoes in it.
(8:32:29 PM) markh: (Did you ever see a lassie?)
(8:32:37 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (Both of mine are fundamentally sight-based, so don't tend to see through walls, basements, etc. unless the effects are visible outside)
(8:33:23 PM) markh: failed my aura sight.
(8:34:54 PM) GM (Brad): Roll(3d6)+0:
3,6,6,+0
Total:15

Roll(3d6)+0:
6,4,1,+0
Total:11
(8:35:14 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (If there's a secret lair tucked away behind an unused mop closet, most of us aren't going to notice it unless we're actually at the door in question)
(8:35:35 PM) Anya (Christy): mine are sight and hear bases
(8:35:57 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith tries the 'I spy' game ... M, figuring that meant magic ... just shrugs and shakes her head. Then G, looks around ... and nearly jumps out of her skin. "Who the heck is that!" Pointing at Judy.
(8:36:17 PM) edorries: <wiggles fingers, a la Vir> "Hi."
(8:37:16 PM) edorries: "Cool! Hey, Anya, I think I actually scared somebody!"
(8:37:32 PM) Anya (Christy): yes but we know about that one she is one of us
(8:37:46 PM) Chris: "It kind of spoils the effect when you say that while they can hear you, too."
(8:37:53 PM) Anya (Christy): And you have made her day :)
(8:39:24 PM) markh left the room.
(8:39:44 PM) Anya (Christy): do we see anything
(8:39:46 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Finally! I'm not the only one in our community that doesn't natively see ghosts."
(8:40:29 PM) edorries: "Don't mind me. I'm a friendly ghost. Mostly. <giggle>"
(8:40:50 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: ("Oh where, oh where, has my little glove gone? Oh where, oh where can it be? With it's thumb so short and it's fingers so long, oh where, oh where can it be?")
(8:40:59 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith: She's a ghost? A for real ghost? That is SO cool!
(8:41:40 PM) Anya (Christy): she does not get out much does she?
(8:41:59 PM) edorries: "As far as I know, I'm for real. Still not sure how it happened."
(8:42:15 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:42:23 PM) edorries: <mutter> ". . . and I think I'm okay with that . . ."
(8:44:05 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra shakes her head, "Not that often ... unless it is to one of those rave parties or to hang out with her gothic friends. As far as I can tell they're talking about the architecture, not the people."
(8:44:15 PM) edorries: "Okay, so if you know how to see ghosts, how come you're so startled by little old me?"
(8:45:20 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith: This is my first time! Go easy, I'm a spectral virgin. <giggle> So does being dead feel like being alive, just colder?
(8:46:03 PM) Anya (Christy): Can we get back to the quest at hand?
(8:46:46 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Ok, exposition aside, we have demonstrated our inability to see the forest for the urban architecture. yime to park the van, and unleash Judy on an unsuspecting security system.
(8:46:47 PM) edorries: "Um. Yeah. Back to work, sorry."
(8:47:26 PM) Anya (Christy): she should not go alone
(8:47:27 PM) edorries: "But I'll tell you, the first time I walked through something was really really weird."
(8:47:30 PM) markh: (Should I start working on my wizard eye circle? Is there room in the van for the circle?)
(8:48:21 PM) GM (Brad): Yeah, from the outside the building looks totally mundane ... and given how many people curse lawyers, and my actually have some minor oomph to them, that's a bit odd of itself.
(8:48:26 PM) Anya (Christy): I am going too
(8:49:43 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Feel up to bringing Mike along, Anya? I think he's the only other one of us who can interact with the real world from that side."
(8:51:14 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Do we want to infiltrate starting from the parking garage, or street level?
(8:51:47 PM) Anya (Christy): I more that go the more likly we might be detected
(8:52:30 PM) GM (Brad): I think he meant over to the spirit world, Anya.
(8:52:40 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (I can be fairly stealthy if needed, but don't have much in the way of ability to either perceive or defeat mundane security systems)
(8:52:43 PM) edorries: Dunno. I bet a couple asking about money for a house could get into the bank pretty easy.
(8:53:30 PM) markh left the room.
(8:53:36 PM) Anya (Christy): we can do that
(8:54:07 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Ah, misunderstood. I'm willing to go to the astral side... my ability to affect the real world is very limited, but that's a lot better than nothing
(8:54:46 PM) Anya (Christy): Lillith here is as an other first for you
(8:54:56 PM) Anya (Christy): go over pulling mike with me
(8:55:10 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: The rest of us are stuck at "nothing". :)
(8:56:05 PM) markh [markh@jabber.vond.net/jwchat] entered the room.
(8:56:29 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith just watches, "You guys run with a really cool crowd ... "
(8:56:50 PM) Chris: Heather grins. "That we do, Lil, that we do."
(8:57:07 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: While waiting: Security systems by 4. ID cameras in the garage area, try to pick out an approach to the utility spaces where a clever and lucky person can approach.
(8:57:28 PM) Anya (Christy): lets see what we can find
(8:57:46 PM) markh: (Getting close to Dad taking over computer... anything you need from me?)
(8:58:42 PM) GM (Brad): The cameras are in the usual positions: cover entrances, a good blanket of the parking areas, the elevators, etc ... but there are nooks and crannies where they can't cover everything, especially in the middle of the day with a partly full garage.
(8:59:24 PM) GM (Brad): Give me a couple of clairvoyance rolls, Mark, just in case.
(8:59:36 PM) edorries: "Heh. Bet I can make the camera look somewhere else. Probably not the best time for it, though."
(8:59:42 PM) markh: Roll(3d6)+0:
2,6,5,+0
Total:13

Roll(3d6)+0:
1,6,6,+0
Total:13

(8:59:50 PM) markh: by 1 both times.
(9:00:37 PM) markh: (Okay, everyone have a good night!)
(9:01:11 PM) edorries: (Night!)
(9:01:14 PM) GM (Brad): Thanks!
(9:01:19 PM) markh left the room.
(9:02:55 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Ok, Brent stays here as getaway driver and "tech guy in van". hand his a security grade radio, and let him clairvoy to his heart's content. Ladies, lets sneak up on a maintenance access, and stay close. My good luck charm only covers an area the size of a cottage.
(9:03:56 PM) edorries: Judy's going to pay attention to the thresholds as she moves around the building. Might be her first clue something weird is around.
(9:04:45 PM) Anya (Christy): see what is on this floor and then work way down
(9:05:09 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Mike will attempt to be stealthy even though theoretically most people can't see us.
(9:05:37 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Ferra Lillith and Heather have access to three rerolls.
My stealth by 4. I have two rerolls if needed.
(9:06:00 PM) Chris: Cool.
(9:06:13 PM) edorries: Yeah, go with the stealth too.
(9:06:14 PM) edorries: Roll(3d6)+0:
5,2,4,+0
Total:11
(9:06:23 PM) edorries: By 1
(9:07:07 PM) Anya (Christy): Roll(4d6)+0:
4,1,1,4,+0
Total:10

Roll(4d6)+0:
3,2,5,3,+0
Total:13

Roll(4d6)+0:
1,3,1,4,+0
Total:9

Roll(4d6)+0:
6,3,1,3,+0
Total:13
(9:07:26 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

Stealth: Skill: 3d6 = 12, Success by 4 against a 16 (4, 4, 4)


(9:07:28 PM) Chris: Stealth: Roll(3d6)+0:
4,2,3,+0
Total: 9 - made it by 4
(9:07:29 PM) Anya (Christy): by 3, 0, 4, 0
(9:07:37 PM) Chris: By 6 if I count global levels
(9:08:58 PM) GM (Brad): Roll(3d6)+0:
1,3,5,+0
Total:9

Roll(3d6)+0:
4,5,1,+0
Total:10
(9:09:17 PM) GM (Brad): Both make their stealth rolls by a decent amount.
(9:10:59 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): We've got a general idea of where we're looking, and no actual need to deal with walls or doors; check barriers for mystic issues first, but we should be able to search the level pretty quickly
(9:12:00 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Access door is locked, I assume?
(9:12:33 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (Crap, I sent our ghost AND our telekinetic with Team 1)
(9:12:53 PM) GM (Brad): Pretty decently, yes. Some elements of the building are 'active' ... folks with good senses will be able to tell that there was a blessing on the foundations.
(9:13:18 PM) GM (Brad): The access door to the part of the ... yes, the sub-basement ... that you guys are going to is, of course, locked.
(9:13:49 PM) Anya (Christy): can we walk though it?
(9:14:48 PM) GM (Brad): It's inside the foundations, but that only seems to extend to the structural cement-work on this side of things ... no door on the spirit side.
(9:14:56 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Team 2, he means. "Ladies, have any extraordinary door opening skills?"
(9:15:32 PM) Chris: "What kind of lock is it?"
(9:15:50 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra wrinkles her nose, tapping at the wall " ... cement with reinforcing bars?"
(9:16:16 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Usually our best lockpicking is having one of the spectral folks opening it from the inside
(9:16:25 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: *rummage in messenger bag for my hidden pocket with my lockpicks* "Probably."
(9:17:53 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

Security Systems: Skill: 3d6 = 11, Failed by 3 vs. 8 (4, 1, 6). I really need to buy that up one of these days. Any *really obvious* wiring around the door?


(9:18:35 PM) GM (Brad): She puffs out a breath, "I'll need to slim down at this rate ... cover me." She draws out a small knife and starts taking scrapings of the wall. After she's got a small pile of dust inher hands, spits on it and mutters something out of Stargate over it.
(9:18:50 PM) GM (Brad): There's a keypad lock on it, but that's it.
(9:20:10 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra winks to Percy, "As the old saying goes. 'Man who builds inpenatrable gate, probably saved money on the rest of the house.' " There's a tingle of magic as she touches the wall. Her body starts to look like the cement the thing's made from as she steps into it.
(9:20:25 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): OK, does it look like we can open it from the inside? If not, can Judy reach into it and force it?
(9:22:58 PM) GM (Brad): There's a k-chunk from the other side of the door as it opens. On the other side was just a push bar. "That strikes me as a bit unsecure, yes?"
(9:23:04 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Looks like team 2 has the door covered. team 1 can get back to searching.
(9:23:17 PM) Chris: "Fire safety laws. All doors have to be instant-open from the inside."
(9:24:20 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "And thankfully for us they haven't terrorist-proofed the entirety of Manhattan since 9/11. Yet."
(9:25:37 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra shudders a bit at the mention of 9/11, "Terrible thing, that. Anyway, our way is clear."
(9:26:12 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: perception by 3, SecSys by three. What's worrisome on the other side of the door?
(9:27:23 PM) Anya (Christy): (hello?)
(9:28:02 PM) GM (Brad): Steps that might be just a smidge under code. No cameras that you can see in the stairwell.
(9:29:01 PM) GM (Brad): (GM on stiff keyboard without infitnite typing speed to begin with. Patience grasshopper. )
(9:29:31 PM) Anya (Christy): (yah yah how long does that take?)
(9:29:32 PM) edorries: (Snatch the space bar from my hand . .. . )
(9:30:12 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (I'm a bit puzzled about what's going on... are team 1 and team 2 basically together except for the astral barrier, or are we in different parts of the building? I though the plan was to send in the astral team until we found something)
(9:31:07 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Team 1 & team 2 are separate. 2 is staging a bit so we don't have to do all this breaking-and-entering when things blow up for team 1
(9:31:15 PM) GM (Brad): (It was my understanding that the teams were to be splitting ... but that could just be me. Otherwise, there's little point for anyone to have worried about the door because minimal TK from the otherside would tend to the doo. )
(9:32:05 PM) GM (Brad): So Team 1 is blazing the trail for Team 2?
(9:32:38 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (OK. So team 1 is poking around but hasn't found anything yet, and team 2 is breaking into things on spec in case it speeds things up for later, it sounds like)
(9:32:53 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Pretty much.
(9:33:38 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (I'm a little better at breaking and entering, Mike's a bit better at broken and entered)
(9:35:18 PM) GM (Brad): Okay. The sub-basement is deep into the building's foundations, so the structural concrete work is pretty much the only 'active' element.
(9:36:00 PM) GM (Brad): The sub-basement is all AC, elevator gear, plumbing and waste handling (including a very large trash compactor)
(9:37:14 PM) GM (Brad): The 'map' that you guys had that lead you to the person you were tracking leads to the NE corner ... the trash compactor.
(9:37:47 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (Queues up an appropriate macro to text judy.)
(9:38:12 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Well, it could be that he ditched pretty much everything in the trash, and we're picking up that; or there's a secret access back there
(9:38:24 PM) Chris: Heather mutters something about "the detention level..."
(9:38:39 PM) Chris: Then adds, "Or it's a trap."
(9:39:40 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "THAT would be in accordance with our wyrd."
(9:40:03 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D):

Concealment: Skill: 3d6 = 9, Success by 7 against a 16 (4, 2, 3)


(9:41:14 PM) GM (Brad): Nothing seems hidden around or outside the compactor, no bombs or the like ... inside the compactor, though ... you find a shoe. And there's a food in it.
(9:41:18 PM) GM (Brad): foot
(9:41:35 PM) Chris: Is there a leg connected?
(9:41:50 PM) edorries: Um. I guess I don't see the ex-owner of said foot hovering around, do I?
(9:42:22 PM) GM (Brad): Foot bone's connect to the ... leg bone ... leg bone's connected to the ... hip bone ...
(9:42:32 PM) GM (Brad): No sign of a ghost down here , Judy.
(9:42:52 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Ow, no shin bone or knee bone?
(9:42:57 PM) Chris: Invoking deathsight. Man done been murdered?
(9:43:11 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Are we talking an actual human corpse, or most of one? Or is this another golem-y sort of thing?
(9:43:18 PM) edorries: Possibly not here, just dumped here.
(9:43:35 PM) Anya (Christy): Lets nt touch the crime zone
(9:43:43 PM) GM (Brad): Very murdered. Heateher gets a short, brutal flash off of the body.
(9:43:54 PM) Chris: Anything in it to ID the killer?
(9:44:19 PM) GM (Brad): An actual human corpse. With nice shoes, and a suit.
(9:44:31 PM) GM (Brad): Can't tell much without getting the body out of the compactor.
(9:47:54 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Judy's got enough TK to do that, question is whether that's a good idea
(9:47:56 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Well, the spectral folks can poke around a bit. In a dark trash compactor, in a dark sub basement.team 2 will catch up eventually.
(9:48:25 PM) edorries: Hmm. <get flashlight out of purse>
(9:50:33 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): so, possibilities... A) this was the person who wrote the instructions, egged on the golemist, etc. but someone has taken them out of the picture. B) This was someone set up to take the blame. C ?
(9:51:12 PM) Anya (Christy): c) not being here when this is discovered
(9:51:34 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: C) this is the body the mastermind was in at the time of scribing the instructions, and he's now out and about in a new chassis. (ew)
(9:52:17 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Also a possibility
(9:52:20 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra: How does that tracking spell work?
(9:52:54 PM) edorries: Oh, I don't like that one. Ick.
(9:53:12 PM) Chris: I'm with the ghost. Ick.
(9:53:33 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): We could phone in an anon tip about a body in the trash, and have the spectral folks watch the cops work
(9:53:47 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Mine? Skipping the long explanation, it boils down to the first law of thaumaturgy."
(9:53:51 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): (Possibly involving one of our more in-the-know friends if we can leverage it)
(9:54:02 PM) Chris: Sure, I know someone.
(9:55:01 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra nods, "So probably the first and possibly the third option then. Unless somebody could re-route the link and the only way I know to do that involves some heavy re-Naming."
(9:55:27 PM) Chris: "And anyone capable of -that- is pretty damn scary."
(9:55:46 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "yeah, lets have the professionals root through the crime scene, and alert our pals in the annoying cases division. Meanwhile, time to try tracing the guantlet again."
(9:56:08 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Which implies that the actual mastermind is further up the chain, and trying to cut the chain before we can follow it. Damn Bosconians
(9:56:24 PM) Chris: Heather nods, pulls out a cellphone, and places a call to a certain NYPD officer of her acquaintance. (I forget the name, RL, but from my initial scene...)
(9:57:08 PM) GM (Brad): Ferra: Bosconians?
(9:57:37 PM) GM (Brad): (Adam Blackmoore and Marian Whitehall )
(9:57:51 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: (Aww, Lensman didn't make itno modern memetic ritualisim)
(9:58:37 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Lensman, classic space opera novels. Had, what, six or seven nested layers of secret criminal organizations nested like Russian dolls. The ultimate masterminds were nigh-omnipotent psychic horrors from another galaxy
(9:59:33 PM) edorries: Mom wouldn't let me read those, or anything with a robot and a fainting woman on the cover.
(10:01:37 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): But that's your cue to quality escapist fiction :) Well, that or a rubber monster and a fainting woman. Anyway, you let your parents dictate what you read? I though you'd have read them out of sheer obstinance at that point :)
(10:02:00 PM) edorries: Didn't say I didn't read it. Just saying Mom wouldn't let me. <grin>
(10:02:11 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: The covers had anything to do with the story? Ok, lets evacuate cautiously, and start working on Plan J
(10:03:01 PM) edorries: I vote for Plan 9. Because it makes more sense right now. I'm hoping it's just flying pie tins.
(10:03:48 PM) Anya (Christy): I vote for sleep
(10:04:59 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): So, the currently corporeal folks back out and get coffee nearby or something, while Judy, astral-Anya, and Astral-Mike hang around to see what the CSI folks pull out of the trash, literally
(10:05:27 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith grins over to Judy, "That's Plan C. "How Much For Just the Planet", great book."
(10:06:24 PM) edorries: "Going to have to find a copy, then."
(10:06:37 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: I've stopped offering pie tins for Judy to play with. She never takes the pies out first.
(10:06:53 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): We've already had to act like we're in some bizarre farce once this summer; let's hope that's our quota
(10:07:02 PM) GM (Brad): Lilith: What's the fun of an empty pie pan?
(10:07:12 PM) edorries: "Yeah, but you thought it was great when I freaked out Uncle Pedro with it."
(10:09:24 PM) GM (Brad): Okay, so. Police are called, a patrolman comes around (eventually) to check it out and Homicide is called in along with NYPD's CSI division.
(10:10:40 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "My neighbors believe in UFOs, alligators in the sewers, and guardian angels shaped like those cement cherubs back at the landscaping yard. The pie tins were easiest to procure"
*sigh* ONE of these days I am going to get that man nailed down long enough to be exorcised. Or laid to rest. Or finally set on the path to resolving his post mortality issues."
(10:11:12 PM) edorries: "This is like that Law & Order show that's always on TV. I mean, ALWAYS."
(10:12:41 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: "Donk-donk"
(10:14:00 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): Hang around close enough we can see and if applicable hear; but don't be *too* obvious and try not to walk through anyone, there's a small chance someone here might be sensitive
(10:14:03 PM) GM (Brad): And the GM's going to call it here. Need to get some spefics in line for the findings, etc and it starting to overheat a bit even under the AC.
(10:14:59 PM) Anya (Christy): I could share
(10:15:28 PM) Anya (Christy): niht night
(10:15:46 PM) Anya (Christy) left the room.
(10:15:49 PM) Chris: It's been fun
(10:16:07 PM) edorries: Reminder: I'm probably out Sunday.
(10:16:30 PM) GM (Brad): I'll get those logs off to you soon as I can get them sucked down and cleaned up a little.
(10:16:35 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D): 'night all.
(10:16:41 PM) Chris: Thanks
(10:17:10 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Understood
(10:17:24 PM) Mike Hammmond (James D) left the room.
(10:17:27 PM) Chris: Do we have webspace for the campaign?
(10:17:31 PM) Chris: And do we want it?
(10:18:23 PM) GM (Brad): I keep meaning to put up a page ...
(10:18:42 PM) Chris: I have space I'm doing very little with... could throw a wiki up
(10:19:18 PM) GM (Brad): Possibly.
(10:20:12 PM) Chris: I'll see what I can do and get you a link in the next couple days, then
(10:23:41 PM) edorries: <wavewave> Night, all!
(10:23:58 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net: Night!
(10:24:05 PM) edorries left the room.
(10:24:15 PM) nmorse@jabber.vond.net left the room.